Back to Friday, October 21st.
This was supposed to be our original arrival day in Las Vegas but instead because of the delay of the RV part, we were destined to spend the night in Ely Nevada. We have not had a drop of rain since leaving home nor have we seen any wildlife.I had mentioned the other day that we have had a few problems since leaving home.
This first one to manifest was that our tow braking system was no longer working. Colin tried everything he could but finally we had to call Blue Ox ( our supplemental tow brake set up is with them ) and we discovered that we had been had. This system was purchased and then installed for a good deal of additional money back in 2015. What we just found out is that our tow brake is a 2012 model that had been sitting on someones shelf for a few years before they sold it to us. You need one of these supplemental bake systems based on the weight of your tow vehicle. In fact it is the law. So in full disclosure we did the Pendleton Pass with no tow brake. Actually this was the second time, the first was the year we had purchased the system and it would not work at all!! We had to send it back from Mexico to get repaired. I think we had used it one day.
First wreck of the day, just before Wells. It was apparent that the driver was going too fast in a curve.
The second issue was that our water smelt like sulphur and was running brown at times. Total yuck 😡 Colin normally flushes our water system before we leave. Of course this year we were unbelievably short of time. It was very apparent that we needed a new anode rod. Colin had a new one as well as all he needed to install it. Except he could not get the screw undone. We even asked for help in Mountain Home. It seemed that the screw was there permanently.
Once we reached Wells, Nevada on Friday we stopped and asked an RV/truck repair business fo help. The first place had no tech om site, they were out on calls. They recommended this place’ Roadway.’ After a few moments a very large muscular man came to our assistance. He applied his substantial body mass to the job and within a few minutes the screw was loose. He refused any payment whatsoever, large or small. Great place to get help. Somehow the top of Colin’s right hand got damaged in the process. But now a few days later he is doing much better and the pain is less. Most importantly of all he is playing again. Colin planned to change the anode rod that night in Ely.
If we had left home on our original D Day of October 18th we would have missed the snow in Ely and the wind storm as we would already be settled in the Vegas RV Park and missed all the stress that came with it.
While fuelling up in Wells, this semi was towed in. I felt bad for him because we have had this experience a few times since last November. Not a good time at all.
While fueling up Colin noticed that one of the basement doors was not wanting to stay closed. So he duck taped it shut as we did not want to see our stuff scattered all over the highway. Just today ( the 25th, Colin was able to easily repair that door ).
Of course the girls were oblivious to anything other than napping in the sun.
Our very cute #2, Ciela. Love that tongue.
It was as were coming in Ely that I discovered the massive wind storm approaching Las Vegas the next morning. With a bit of research ( so glad that I have extra data ) we decided that the safest thing to do was to drive to Alamo. As you know from the last post we arrived safely but tired and were so happy to get the last open site. We slept well and were up early to try and get to Las Vegas before the storm hit at 11AM ( seriously, who decided that time, rather than between 10 and 11 )?
Only half way to Alamo and we see this, does not look good.
Looks like someone lost a load of lumber. As you can see the sun is setting.
Hopefully not his life as well. The cab and trailer both flipped upside down. Again this happened on a curve. Is there such a shortage of truckers that they are hiring newbies who do not know how to drive?
Back to Saturday October 22nd
We were driving at 7:25AM and Colin drove 65MPH. We never go over 60MPH as that is the safe maximum for the Jeep. But we were in a battle of time with Mother Nature. Soon we could only drive 40 mph. We noticed the wind begin to pick up as we neared I15 and Las Vegas. We were within site of Love’s when the gusts began. We were forced out of our lane twice, possibly three times. Colin lost control at those moments. Fortunately there was little traffic.
As we turned onto I15, I caught this out of the corner of my eye. This semi cab was stuck in the sand of the ditch.
How on earth did this happen? Was it a gust of wind or ?? Hard to see but the rear tires are off the ground. This happened just around the corner from Love’s just as we turned onto I15.
Our first glimpse of Vegas, well not really, much too dusty.
The most difficult part was the change over from 15 to I515 on a narrow curve high up. we both held our breathes hoping for no gusts. Of course we made it.
We got to our site, hooked up the electric and did a few things to set up and then it was suddenly nap time.
I am going to stop here tonight. I need to shower and make dinner.
Thank you all for your comments, it really helped us get through yet another dramatic adventure in our life.